Municipal Law Firm in Pennsylvania
What Our Clients Say
Get a Free Case Evaluation
Unmatched Experience in Municipal Law
You want to know your law firm has a breadth and depth of experience working other clients just like you. In fact, you want to see that your law firm has done exactly what you need. Over the years, Sherr Law Group has represented hundreds of different municipal clients including:
- Zoning Boards
- School Districts
- Elected Officials
- Police, Fire and Emergency Departments
- Waste Water and Sewer Authorities
In addition, attorney Tony Sherr has served as special counsel handling complex litigation including challenges to zoning and planning commissions, Sunshine Act claims, human resources disputes, environmental cases, and intermunicipal matters. Want specifics? You can click here to see examples of Tony’s work with municipalities.
Services for Municipalities
The practice of municipal law requires a lawyer who can tackle even the most intricate, multi-faceted issues in a variety of municipal law and litigation in areas including:
- Appeals – Have appeared in all appellate levels in PA and federal court
- Civil Rights – Civil rights claims brought under 42 U.S.C. 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, and 1986
- Claims against Children – Represent court officials on issues involving various claims against children
- Employment and Labor Claims – Under Section 1983, Title VII, FMLA, ADA, PA HRC, Federal and state discrimination and retaliation claims, Collective Bargaining agreements, Civil Service, wrongful hiring, training, and discipline, wage act claims
- Eminent domain and Condemnation – Inverse Condemnation claims involving legislative takings and civil rights claims
- Environmental Law – Defend municipalities for actions brought under all federal and state environmental statutes including Clean Streams Act, CERCLA, Act 537 and state regulatory actions
- First Amendment and Defamation – Including, billboards and signage, wrongful termination and free speech issues
- Libel and Slander – Claims filed against municipality alleging libel and slander during public meetings, and police actions
- Municipal Utility Law – Claims that property was damaged as a result of malfunctions or explosions
- Ordinances – Drafting ordinances and election issues
- Police Matters – Involving police powers, wrongful or illegal arrest, excessive force, search and seizure, improper police pursuit, employment actions, jail issues, and Claims of violation of the Police Tenure Act
- Premises Liability – Slip and fall cases
- Property Tax Appeals– Assist clients in defending assessment appeals
- Road Design and Maintenance – Personal injury actions alleging road design and maintenance caused accident
- School District Matters – Including Claims alleging improper student discipline, Inappropriate student contact, School bus accidents, Claims arising under the Rehabilitation Act, and Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act
- Solicitorships – Serving as special counsel for many municipalities
- Sunshine Act Matters – Defend both civil and criminal aspects of these claims
- Zoning and Land Use – Including ordinances, zoning, variances, right-of-way and conditional use, including state law challenges to local zoning decisions (ACRE, Clean Strems Act)
Skilled Municipal Law Attorneys in Norristown Pennsylvania
We have successfully handled thousands of matters in Federal and State Courts, the EEOC, the Human Relations Commission, Contract Arbitrations and the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board. We are Philadelphia Municipal Lawyers with broad experience extending to:
- Civil rights cases involving zoning and land use
- Cases against police and law enforcement for wrongful arrest, excessive force, search and seizure, jail issues including inmate suicides
- School districts, employment, and labor claims
- First Amendment and defamation
Rely on Sherr Law Group’s Team of Municipal Law Lawyers
Sherr law group and its Philadelphia area Municipal Law Lawyers have the focus and dedication necessary to assist you regardless of the legal issue your municipality faces, Employment Law, Insurance Defense and Products Liability.
We are also well-versed in trying state tort cases involving road design and maintenance, premises liability, libel and slander and general tort claims. As well, we serve as solicitors to municipalities, zoning boards, and authorities. Across all these types of cases and matters of municipal law, our team of Norristown Municipal Law Lawyers has achieved hundreds of successful jury verdicts and judgments over the years of our practice.
Our dedication to achieving justice for our clients has brought us favorable precedents in matters in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the Third Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, including a victory for municipalities under the Sunshine Act in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and most of the important precedential opinions decided under ACRE (Agricultural Communities, and Rural Environment) Act.
What Makes Sherr Law Group the Preferred Philadelphia area Municipal Law Firm?
Our clients opt for us because we are one of the highest ranked Norristown Municipal Law Attorneys in prevailing legal matters and best practices in municipal management and liability. Sherr Law Group is comprised of a team of Norristown Municipal Lawyers committed to developing and implementing unique and creative case strategies.
The lawyers in our Norristown Municipal Law Firm regularly attend seminars on municipal law topics and keep their knowledge on the matter up-to-date, so that when the need arrives, we can assist our clients with the skill and experience required to tackle complex municipal legal issues.
Our clients, our experience, and our credibility vouch for our exceptional knowledge and delivery of services.
Townships Step Up to Help Keep the Volunteer Fire Company Alive
The alarm has been ringing for some time now in Pennsylvania: Our volunteer fire companies are facing a real crisis. As dwindling volunteers and escalating costs have put the crunch on fire companies, the future of the volunteer model is in jeopardy. To make sure it survives, everyone — from fire to municipal to state officials — are seeking creative solutions to save this vital public service. This article features an interview with Tony Sherr of Sherr Law Group.
As we predicted in a recent blog, the pandemic is likely to prompt a flood of wrongful death lawsuits against private sector and municipal employers. On May 7, 2020, Pennsylvania’s first Covid-19 related wrongful death suit was filed in a Philadelphia Common Pleas...
PA Municipal Governments Can Prepare to Defend Against Possible Wrongful Death Lawsuits from COVID-19
As of May 6, 2020, in the state of Pennsylvania, there have been nearly 52,000 cases of COVID-19 and over 3,000 deaths. First responders, healthcare workers and other essential people employed by municipal governments are getting sick and some are dying of COVID-19....
In a recent decision, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that part-time police officers are protected by the Police Tenure Act or the Borough Code when a municipality tries to fire them. The borough of Worthington employed four part-time officers including the...
Social media is undoubtedly one of the great communication tools of our time. But using sites like Facebook and Instagram doesn’t come without repercussions. There are limits to freedom of speech, particularly in the employment setting; when speech exceeds those...
Did you know that the vast majority of civil litigation cases settle out of court? In fact, over 90% of these cases are settled instead of going to trial and verdict. There are pros and cons to settling outside of the court room, but each case is very different. Have...
The Case Opens Doors to Building New Waste Water Collection Systems and Treatment Plants We are pleased to announce that Sherr Law Group prevailed on a multi-year case with a win on summary judgment for a municipal client. Here are the details: Case: CFR Partners v....